Senior Manager, Resource Development
Hamilton Food Share is seeking a knowledgeable, skilled, and community-minded fundraiser to join the team as Senior Manager, Resource Development. Reporting to the CEO and as part of the organization’s Senior Management Team, the Senior Manager, Resource Development is responsible for the development and execution of all fundraising, donor relations, and volunteer engagement programs to support the mission of Hamilton Food Share.
With accountability for approximately 4 million dollars in annual revenue that support emergency food programs in the Hamilton region, the role is responsible for leading and supporting the work of two team members who execute community relations and grant writing activities. The Senior Manager will bring experience developing strategic fundraising plans and will foster strong relationships and connections on behalf of Hamilton Food Share. This role is pivotal in securing the resources that enable food to be distributed to community groups supporting thousands of community members every month.
The successful candidate will be experienced in multiple forms of fundraising including grant writing and preparing proposals, special events, direct marketing, on-line giving, corporate partnerships and individual giving. The ability to skillfully execute on all aspects of the fundraising cycle including prospecting and cultivation, stewardship and recognition, communications, and database management, will be key success factors in this role.
The Senior Manager, Resource Development will be a skilled relationship manager committed to being visible in the community and building collaborative and mutually beneficial partnerships in order to promote understanding of Hamilton Food Share and ensure positive relationships with community members and businesses, donors, sponsors and partners as well as staff and volunteers.
ABOUT HAMILTON FOOD SHARE
Hamilton Food Share is the city’s Emergency Food shipping and receiving hub, and Emergency Food Systems Coordinator for the network of agencies it supports. The organization is committed to raising food and funds for emergency food programs including food banks and hot meal programs in neighbourhoods across every corner of the city. Last year, Hamilton Food Share raised and distributed over 4.37 million pounds of nutritionally rich foods to help ensure that people living in poverty have access to healthy food for themselves and their families.
The impact of Hamilton Food Share is achieved when large-scale food and financial donations are received and distributed to front-line service organizations.
A well-established, incredible community of support includes farmers, wholesalers, retailers, and thousands of local people who donate healthy fresh, frozen, and non-perishable food by the truckload through food drives, and make financial donations to help their neighbours get enough to eat.
Hamilton Food Share believes in measurable results, so donors know the impact of their donation. At Hamilton Food Share, every $1 donated raises $5 worth of food.
KEY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Fund Development Leadership
• Collaborate with the CEO to create long term growth strategies and fund development plans that increase revenue and support the strategic direction of Hamilton Food Share.
• Work collaboratively with the Senior Management Team to align development goals and strategies with the organizational direction.
• Ensure that fundraising plans are diversified across a range of revenue streams including individual donations, foundation grants, special events, 3rd party fundraisers, and corporate sponsorships.
• Create and execute annual operational plans, establishing and monitoring goals, objectives, targets and budgets for fundraising.
• Monitor trends in the community and region and adapt fundraising strategies as necessary.
• Develop and implement innovative and strategic communication and solicitation strategies to build donor loyalty, improve retention and increase size of the supporter base.
• Conduct comprehensive research to identify and recommend potential funding prospects and opportunities.
• Develop and implement strategies to grow the current donor base of individual giving through the established monthly donor program.
• Develop a strategy on how to promote major and planned giving in the community and directly cultivate, solicit and steward a portfolio of planned giving prospects.
• Work with professional advisors to design planned giving materials including bequests, insurance policies and wills.
• Provide oversight and guidance to the Grant Writer in researching and preparing grant proposals and submissions to corporations, foundations, and private granting organizations.
• Provide oversight and guidance to the Community Relations Coordinator in managing special events and social media as well as grant writing.
• Develop an annual calendar of community events with analysis that includes communication requirements, time spent, money raised, and donor recognition opportunities.
• Track donor information and outcomes of fundraising activities and provide regular written evaluations with recommendations for refining resource development goals and targets.
• Lead and support direct reports in carrying out established annual goals and targets.
• Oversee the volunteer program by ensuring appropriate training and supports are in place for the recruitment and retention of volunteers.
• Develop an annual income and expenditure budget for the fund development program for approval.
• Monitor expenses and analyze budget reports on fund development and recommend changes as necessary.
• Ensure accurate coding of all donations received with the relevant campaign and appeal information.
• Develop marketing and communication materials and ensures regular updates as needed.
• Ensure that accurate and timely information is posted on the website that enhances on-line presence, including web-based fundraising.
• Represent Hamilton Food Share at community events and public speaking opportunities and identify and cultivate opportunities for mutually beneficial, long-term partnerships.
• Oversee and initiate media, promotions, and public relations.
QUALIFICATIONS & COMPETENCIES
• Experience planning and executing a diverse development portfolio and driving success through multiple streams of fundraising.
• Proven results building and nurturing strong and lasting strategic partnerships relationships that maximize financial success.
• Excellent interpersonal and relationship management skills. Ability to work well with diverse groups of people.
• Experience working well with volunteer teams, community-based organizations and large businesses.
• Strong project coordination with the ability to effectively manage multiple projects, deadlines and priorities.
• Superior written, verbal, and non-verbal communication skills. Attention to detail and accuracy including strong proofreading skills.
• Financial literacy (budget preparation and monitoring).
• Initiative, self-starter, ability to work with little supervision and to collaborate effectively.
• Thrives in a fast-paced, dynamic environment.
• Understanding of, and commitment to maintaining regulatory, legal and legislative requirements.
• Knowledgeable on planned giving options and benefits for Canadians based on accepted industry standards, benchmarks and best practices an asset.
• Experience in people management an asset.
• Familiarity with the issues surrounding hunger and poverty an asset.
• Understanding of the community of Hamilton and surrounding area, or ability to immerse in the community and develop understanding and awareness of the role and impacts of Hamilton Food Share.
FOR MORE INFORMATION
KCI Search + Talent has been retained to conduct this search on behalf of Hamilton Food Share. For more information about this opportunity, please contact Mia Gardiner, Senior Consultant, KCI Search + Talent by email at HFS@kcitalent.com.
To view full position brief, visit www.kcitalent.com
All inquiries and applications will be held in strict confidence. Interested candidates should send resume and letter of interest to the email address listed above by December 17, 2022.
The salary range for this position is $80,000-100,000 and includes a comprehensive benefits package.
Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. If you require any accommodations, please notify the Search Consultant.
This is a fill-time onsite role, located in Hamilton Ontario with an expectation to be in the office most of the time with flexibility around working from home as schedules allow.
Required languages: English
Education level: N/A
Required skills: See Description
Closest intersection: Barton St & Hilton Drive